Banana Link is a not-for-profit co-operative based in Norwich, which works for fair and sustainable banana and pineapple trades. We raise awareness of the poor living and working conditions faced by plantation workers and small producers in Latin America, Africa and the Caribbean.
- Bananas are the single most profitable item sold in UK supermarkets.
- The average banana worker in Nicaragua earns 75p in an eight-hour day.
- For every £1 you spend on a Costa Rican pineapple in the UK, just 4p of this goes to the workers.
- Plantation workers in Latin America have little protection from toxic pesticides and as a result thousands of these workers have been left sterile.
- In Guatemala, seven members and ex-members of a banana workers´trade union - defenders of human rights - have been murdered ine one year alone.