Working Group on Distribution of Value (WG02)
The Working Group 02 deals with Distribution of Value.
This group seeks to work towards a fair distribution of value along the whole banana chain with a particular focus on calculating Costs of Sustainable Production, including the payment of living wages to plantation workers.
- Identify the key actors at all stages of the supply chain
- Agree on a typology of the different supply chains in the global industry
- Prioritise what information we need to gather in order to work towards fair distribution of value (e.g. labour costs, FOB, CIF and retail prices)
- Map the distribution of value in key supply chains (a representative selection of origins and markets)
- Evaluate prices and costs along the chain
- Agree on a practical methodology for approximating "living" or "decent" wages at plantation/farm level
- Pilot this methodology in at least two countries
- Explore the feasibility of various approaches to the redistribution of value in the chain
- Exchange relevant information with other WGs of the WBF and externally