Working Group on Sustainable Production Systems and Environmental Impact (WG01)
The Working Group 01 deals with Sustainable Production Systems and Environmental Impact. This group seeks to contribute to a better understanding of the main issues related to sustainable banana production and to develop a road map towards improving sustainability in banana production. Banana Link is one of the co-ordinators of WG01.
The specific objectives of the WG01 are to:
- Agree on a comprehensive definition of sustainable banana production and to identify the most important sustainability issues within the banana industry
- Compile and exchange information and knowledge about sustainabiity and related issues in banana production systems
- List and disucss potential solutions, and come up with a priority list of the most promising options to tackle sustainability issues in banana production
- Initiate and facilitate actions which can help to achieve the identified options for solutions to sustainability issues in banana production systems
- Set up pilot projects around at least one of these identified options
- Exchange relevant information with other WGs of the World Banana Forum
- Cope with the spread of Fusarium wilt TR4, also known as Panama disease, through the WBF ad-hoc TR4 Task Force. The spread of this fungus threatens global banana production
At a meeting in Rome in 2010, the WG01 participants decided to create two sub-committees within this Group. The first sub-committee specifically focuses on agro-chemical use, and in particular on their environmental impact.The second sub-committee concentrates on the development of a “virtual library” presenting best practices related to sustainable banana production.