Tesco now controls over 30% of the grocery market in the UK. In 2010, the supermarket chain announced profits of £3.4bn. Growing evidence indicates that Tesco's success is partly based on trading practices that are having serious consequences for suppliers, farmers and workers worldwide, local shops and the environment.
The Tescopoly Alliance is calling for:
- A block on any new take-overs by Tesco or other major supermarkets.
- Stronger planning policies to protect local shops and High Streets.
- A legally binding supermarket code of practice to ensure that all farmers, at home and overseas, are treated fairly.
- An independent watchdog with teeth to protect the interests of consumers, farmers and small retailers.
- Rules to protect workers' rights at home and overseas.
Click the icon below to go to the Tescopoly campaign website for information and resources.